Get a taste of the action from Workout at Work Day and read about what physios and physiotherapy staff did across the UK to promote physical activity during the working day:
If you can't see the video above, you can watch it on Vimeo.com.
One of the many events run on Workout at Work Day 2014 was at an outdoor gym in Clerkenwell, London. See the above video report, and read more about what happened in our live blog of the day.
The CSP launched W@WD in 2011 in order to increase levels of physical activity amongst employees during the working day, and to inspire staff to move more and address poor work habits, such as not taking regular breaks. The aim of the day is to improve public health, reduce sickness absence and promote the important role which physiotherapy plays in keeping people 'fit for work'.
On W@WD hundreds of physiotherapists and physiotherapy staff run events in different workplaces and public spaces across the UK, in order to promote the health benefits of physical activity in the workplace.
Physiotherapists have a key role to play in preventing and treating work related ill-health and can advise on safe exercise to improve health and keep people in employment.
- 89 per cent said it increased their knowledge of and understanding of the importance of exercise
- 90 per cent said it had increased their understanding of the role physios play in public health
- 77 per cent per cent said they were very/extremely likely to build more activity into their daily lives
You can use our Physio2u service to find a local practitioner, or contact the Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Occupational Health and Ergonomics (ACPOHE).
The CSP has free online resources to help you get more active. These include:
- A set of postcards with exercises for office-based workers.
- Fit for Work – which provides advice for office-based workers or those employed in sedentary jobs. This includes practical advice on how to improve health at work and ideas for addressing workplace stress.
- Fit for Active Work – for people working in roles where standing, lifting, physical effort or repetitive movements are involved.
- Easy Exercise Guide – which offers advice on taking the first steps towards a healthier lifestyle.
- Under Pressure – a leaflet looking at the link between physical activity and mental wellbeing, with advice on staying happy and healthy at work.
- Fitness Profits – a booklet offering advice to employers about the role physiotherapy can play in keeping staff healthy and productive.
- Drive Clear of Pain - a step-by-step guide to correct car set-up, plus some simple stretches for when you take a break from the wheel.
Printed copies of CSP leaflets are available from the CSP in packs of 50 for just £5 (packing and postage free). To order, click on the 'ADD TO CART' button to the right of this page or you can contact our enquiries team.