Registration for Older People's Day has now closed for this year - thanks to everyone who signed up. Packs are due to arrive later this week.
Following on from the success of 2015, which saw more than 400 physios promoting mobility, activity and active living at events across the UK, the CSP is encouraging members to use the day as an opportunity to promote the role that physio plays in helping older people to stay healthy and independent through preventing and reducing falls.
The CSP has developed resources to help members promote the role of physio in keeping older people fit and healthy on Older People’s Day. Promotional resources currently available for 2016 include:
- An interactive fortune teller provides 20 ways for you to get involved in OPD and help spread the word about being more physically active to live longer and live well. It presents a range of options from organising a tai chi session at a local community centre or a healthy walk in a local park to giving a talk on preventing falls and displaying leaflets and posters at a local library.
- The Get Up and Go guide produced by Saga, in association with the CSP and Public Health England (PHE) and with substantial input from AGILE members, gives advice on how older people can prevent falls and stay steady
- A new Get Up and Go exercise supplement featuring six exercises for staying steady
- The Timed Up and Go video which helps the public calculate a person’s risk of falling is available at www.csp.org.uk/timedupandgo. Produced with input from AGILE members, this includes an interview with chartered physiotherapist Louise McGregor
Promote your event
Members are being asked to promote their activities via Twitter using the #olderpeoplesday and #physioworks hashtags. Sample tweets will be emailed to registered members shortly before 1 October.
CSP contact details
Members can contact their Regional Campaigns and Engagement Officers for advice on organising the events:
- Contact Catherine Chappell via phone 020 7314 7863, email: email@example.com or Twitter: @CChappellCSP
- Contact Mindy Daubeny via phone 020 7306 6163, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Twitter @CSPMindy
For more information about OPD contact the CSP Enquiries Team on 020 7306 6666 or email email@example.com.
After your event
Please tell us how your event went by completing our short feedback form and we will send you a participation certificate to confirm your involvement in this year’s campaign.
We want to see your photos! Please send them to us via an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org (jpeg files only - 5MB file size max per individual email).
Please also let us know who is featured in your photographs, include a short description of what the photo shows and confirm consent has been given by all relevant parties. Finally, let us know if we need to credit a photographer.
See more advice and information on how to increase your health and fitness to help prevent a fall on the Saga website: www.saga.co.uk/falls