The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy


View your shopping cart.

Burning question - compensation for injury by a patient

CSP experts give you regular updates on employment-related issues. Got an issue you’re worried about? Ask your steward/student rep or, if you don’t have one, contact the CSP.

‘I was seriously injured by a patient, can I claim any compensation?’

Your first port of call would be a personal injury claim against the individual.

CSP members can call Thompsons on 0800 5877519 for free advice on their claim.

If the individual does not have the means to pay you can claim from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

This is a government funded scheme to compensate blameless victims of crime.

The law in England, Wales and Scotland was changed in November 2012 and now states that the incident must be reported to the police as well as your employer.

This, and other eligibility criteria for CICA, can be found at Justice UK and nidirect in Northern Ireland. This is intended as general information only and does not replace individual advice

Comments are visible to CSP members only.

Please Login to read comments and to add your own or register if you have not yet done so.

Back to top